Contact Us | Search Again | Advertise with Us

 
 

 

     

Isles of Scilly - Bryher

Bryher is the smallest of the five inhabited islands of the Isles of Scilly with a length of 2 kilometres (1.2 mi), a maximum width of 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) and an area of 134 hectares (330 acres), including Shipman Head, which rises to 42 metres (138 ft) at the northern end of the island. Bryher lies to the west of Tresco, and is separated from that island by the Tresco Channel, once the main anchorage for the islands and now an area where sandflats are exposed at low tide. Off the southern end of Bryher is the uninhabited island of Samson. It is possible to walk between the three islands at the lowest spring tides. The centre of Bryher is mainly low lying with arable fields, pasture and housing and is where most of the population of 83 lives. On the west side is the brackish Great Pool overlooked by the Hell Bay Hotel and in the south are sandy beaches, a common feature on the island, Rushy Bay being an example. The island lies within the Isles of Scilly Heritage Coast, is part of the Isles of Scilly Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and untennanted land is leased by the Duchy of Cornwall to the Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust which is using ponies and red ruby cattle to graze the overgrown areas as part of the Waves of Heath project. The name of the island is recorded as Brayer in 1336 and Brear in 1500.

 
Hotel Self Catering Guest House/B&B

 

Be the 1st Hotel to appear in this section.

 Click Here

 

 

 

Be the 1st Self Catering to appear in this section.

 Click Here

 

Be the 1st Guest House/B&B to appear in this section.

 Click Here

 

Copyright StayUK.co.uk