Channel Islands - Herm
Herm is the smallest of the Channel Islands that is open to the
public and is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey. Cars are banned
from the small island as they are on its Channel Island neighbour,
Sark. Unlike Sark, Herm also bans bicycles. However, Herm does allow
quad bikes and tractors for the locals.
Herm won the 2002 and 2008 Britain in Bloom competition in the
"Small Coastal Resort" category.
The first records of Herm's inhabitants in historic times are from
the 6th century, when the island became a centre of monastic
activity; the name 'Herm' supposedly derives from hermits who
settled there (although an alternative interpretation derives Herm
from Norse erm referring to an arm-like appearance of the island).
However, the monks suffered from the inclement Atlantic; in 709, a
storm washed away the strip of land which connected the island with
the small uninhabited island of Jethou.
The most important moment in Herm's political history was 933, when
the Channel Islands were annexed to the Duchy of Normandy (they
remain a British Crown Dependency since the division of Normandy in
1204). After the annexation, Herm gradually lost its monastic
inhabitants, and between 1570 and 1737 the governors of Guernsey
used it as a hunting ground.